Thursday, January 13, 2011

Haiti Earthquake: One year later

Haiti Earthquake: One year later

Yes, it's been a year already. In a way, I can't believe it, in a way, it feels longer. If you click on the above link, you can see an interview we did yesterday with a local news station.

It's been quite a year. To put it in pun form, this earthquake really shook up my life. I don't know that I can say I had some life-changing epiphany. But I can say that my eyes were opened to a lot. The sermon on Sunday in Haiti, two days bofore the earthquake, was titled, God is at the Center. That turned into our title for the week, God is at the Epicenter!

What do we mean by that? God is at the center of our lives. He has a plan for each of us, and nothing surprises Him. It was no surprise to Him that 14 missionaries were present in that little village that day. It was no surprise that the team consisted of 2 ER doctors and 2 nurses, along with an amazing team of talented folks who could work together to help those victims. This doesn't just apply to catastrophic events. God has a plan for every aspect of our lives. I've learned this year that He DOES care about every detail. He wants us to come to Him with even the little requests. God cares so much about us, why wouldn't He want to know every detail?

I've learned something else.  I think I had heard this one before, but I guess I was still being stubborn. :) If we spend time with God, every day, He hears, He listens, and we can hear and listen to Him. I learned if I bring my concerns to God, I really do hear His answers. And if I can just trust in Him, in each moment and event in my life, I will feel His presence. How do I spend time with God? Simply by reading His Word, the Bible. I have a great 365 day bible that breaks up the bible into daily readings. Some days, I don't make it, some days, it's a quick read before bed, but it's well worth it!

I'm going back to Haiti!! In just 5 short weeks! We are going to a different area this time. We will be going out to 4 different remote villages on an island called La Gonave. We will see the children at the schools out there and basically give them checkups! We will distribute vitamins and medicine. Some of these folks have to walk very far just for clean water. Can you believe they live this way, and are only 1 1/2 hours away from the US?

Please keep our upcoming trip in your prayers. If you would like to help, you can donate to our trip by sending a check either to myself or to Grace Chuch of the Islands. If you would like to know more about the place we are going, you can check out http://www.hopeforlagonave.com/.

Thanks so much for reading!

Danielle <><

No comments:

Post a Comment